Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Safety in Steeples

Rebecca and I went up on the top of one of Charleston's many parking garages to take some pictures. I had forgotten how many steeples there were, there must have been at least 20 to 30. There looming presence over Charleston reminded me of an old Charleston folklore that gave an explanation to all the steeples in Charleston. It was believed that if you were in view of a steeple that God could see you. In other words there was safety in steeples because people were afraid to commit crimes in view of God. Obviously a poor doctrine and representation of God to hold but it does give us a good figurative picture of a characteristic of church and makes us ask the question. 

Do these steeples still offer safety?

Ps 5:11 
But let all who take refuge in you be glad, let them ever sing for joy; And may you shelter them, that those who love Your name may exult in You.

Ps 7:1 O LORD my God, In You I have taken refuge; save me from all those who pursue me, and deliver me,





2 comments:

Matthew Ables said...

have you been to the top of the wentworth mansion? it's a pretty cool place. beth and i will take you sometime.

Matthew Ables said...

okay, time for you to update. you're not doing so hot at this blogging thing.
not that i have much room to talk, but i'd like some new words.
thanks.